Friday, February 11, 2011

Can I claim a snow day?

Alright, when I started the "useful item" blog, I had ALL these ideas, but I should have written them down, because now they're gone and I'm really struggling! I think I'm about two weeks behind? I'll post two useful things here to get back on track.

Firstly, sour cream/ricotta cheese containers. I know what you're thinking... leftovers. Period. Well, I happen to use them for my plants. Perhaps there's some horrible chemical in the plastic, and this is bad advice..., but I really think that's unlikely. If it's true, I'm very sorry. I find sour cream containers useful for planting seedlings (I tried yogurt containers, but the shape of the Yoplait kind made freeing the seedling a somewhat similar task to freeing your wet feet from rubber boots), and for holding young African violet starts - before you have a more permanent pot for them. Of course if you plant your African violet starts in terra cotta pots, you may have to cut the plastic container down and use it like those very cheap plastic watering dishes at Lowe's. But these you already paid for, and you got to enjoy some sour cream! Much better.



Next, these lovely ringed notecard holders. I found them very useful in college for studying Spanish vocabulary or anatomy terms, but now I use them for verses to be memorized and I have one for prayer concerns. They're tidy, and you don't have to worry about losing them. You can even make your own (bigger) set by punching holes in 3x5 cards and purchasing a binder ring from an office or craft store. I got a big box from amazon.com once. They may even sell 3x5 cards with holes already punched in them!



Anyhow, I hope you are enjoying your Friday. I am off to bake my Valentine's Day cake, which will be consumed tomorrow, with our epic Valentine's meal. I'm planning on outdoing myself, and I hope to remember to post pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Joie Fitzpatrick has her memory verses on a similar ring. Good luck with your cake. I thought the one you made last year was pretty tasty : )

    ReplyDelete